Monday, September 15, 2008

Pinoy Yuppie Husband in Hongkong!


The view from the Sky Tower - HK Skyline in daylight.

I arranged my travel plans to have atleast 10hrs layover in HK International Airport with a plan to go to explore some parts of HK. I had an early 8:25am flight aboard Cathay Pacific. Plane departed exactly on time! We are up and then after less than 2hrs we were landing in HK. Immigration procedures were fast and efficient. There were many officers manning the booths. We exchanged some of our money to HK dollars, then proceeded to the information counter.

The conversation was something like this,
PYH: "Good morning, we have about 5hrs worth of time to visit HK, where can you recommend we go to?"
Info Officer: "Sir, then you have to go The Peak."
PYH: "OK, how can I go there?"
Info Officer then pulled some maps and pointed to this and that... "Take the Airport Express to Hongkong terminal, then follow the map".
PYH: "Ok, thanks!" 


I purchased a HK$100 Airport Express ticket (1 day, round trip), 30 mins later I was in HK MTR terminal.

MTR LED Distance Meter :)


Following the map was not that easy. Good thing there were Pinays all over! I approached someone to ask for directions, she did not only pointed it to me but she walked with me to the Peak Tram. Talk about Pinoy Yuppie Husband's charm. hehehe. She said she was going in the same direction to attend the Catholic mass.

The Peak Tram ride was great. More the 1km of around 30 degree incline straight up Victoria Peak. There were lots of tourist and the ride was pretty short. I took a photo with my camera parallel to the gound to show how steep the incline was.

30 degree Incline Tram!


The Peak Tram

The Tram stop at the peak and I proceeded to the Sky Tower, 5 floors up! Photos from that height were great! HK skyline at daytime. There were some posters depicting 120 years of HK history in photograps. How HK has changed!

Pictorial History: 120 years of HK


The Peak Tram going uphill


More than 2hrs of picture taking and lunch of baked porkchop, I was ready to go down. Walking back to the Airp
ort Express terminal, I saw an amazing sight! Pinays all over the Central district. They were everywhere. One road was actually closed to traffic and the Pinays were sitting literally in the center of the road. According to the Pinay who helped me earlier, Sunday is their off day from work and most of them gather here to chat and mingle with other Pinays. Some were just sitting, eating pancit, bilo-bilo, drinking beer, coke, munching on Pinoy chichiryas. Some were selling prepaid cards also. Going back, I took some wrong turns and was somewhat lost. Another Pinay offered to help point me back to Airport Express. :) Back to  the Airport by 6pm. I waited 2hrs for my plane to Shanghai and after a 15min delay we were taxiing and ready for take-off. Tomorrow I'll blog about the plane ride and my first day in Shanghai. - Pinoy Yuppie Husband

Queen's Road Central Closed


0 comments: